Quick exit

My Working Day: Community Domestic Violence Practitioner

Filed under: News

A typical day for me starts with some exercise, whether that’s some time on the treadmill, Pilates or some extended mindful breathing.

Whether it’s heading into the office or working from home you never know what’s in store for the day ahead. On my drive into the office, I tend to listen to an unrelated podcast, at the moment it’s Steve Bartlett’s Diary of a CEO.

When I get to the office it’s normally about 8:30, after fighting with the laptop bag, a bag with my newly purchased lunch in it and remembering the code for the doors my desk is a welcomed sight! Quickish catch up with my colleagues (love the hustle and bustle of the office), a coffee in one hand and a porridge pot in the other I am ready to start my working day.

Laptop open and let’s go!

Firstly, I check (often with bated breath) my emails and the secure database for any updates that may have come in over the course of the previous night. Then I turn on my mobile and see if anyone I’m supporting has tried to get in contact with me over the course of the previous evening or night.

After responding to emails, texts and voicemails. I look at my calendar to see what’s afoot for the day! Each day is so very different, on any given day I could be part of one or two of the following: a professionals meeting, a core group meeting discussing safety planning with children’s social workers, attending family group conferences, support at court and of course home visits.

In and around meetings I will be making support calls to our service users, checking in with them around any practical needs they may have, offering some emotional support and offering information that will empower them to continue their journey of becoming free from domestic abuse.

Interactions with other services in the city is also part of my day, referrals to domestic violence support groups, housing support groups, mental health support, drug and alcohol support and parenting groups. I also will action any other support needs flagged up in the MARAC process.

My workday finishes around 4:30, and the last hour of the day is normally frantically making sure service user notes are all up to date and making a list of things to do for the next day. Jumping in my car to listen to the next instalment of the podcast.

All news